Our growing family

Our growing family

Thursday, September 30, 2010

It all started with a $5 book...

You are probably wondering what gave Todd and I the idea to adopt, especially internationally...well it honestly all started with a $5 book from the Family Christian bookstore that was on sell at the register. I read the back of the book and decided to buy it one July afternoon and it was one of the most convicting books I have ever read. I could not put it down...I read it in a couple of days....which is quick considering I don't get a lot of "free time" to read with my precious two kiddies to care for daily. The book is entitled RED LETTERS by Tom Davis. RED LETTERS urges Christians not only to read the words Christ spoke in the gospels but to most importantly LIVE those words in our everyday lives. We, as believers, settle into thinking that going to church on Sunday, praying occasionally, and helping "when we have time" is what living our faith is suppose to look like...but Tom Davis challenges us to be Christs' hands and feet by loving others as much as we love ourselves. That means feeding the hungry, healing the sick, and providing shelter for the homeless. I will share more from that book in another blog, but I want to continue with our adoption story...




So after I finished the book, I lightheartedly said to Todd, "So, what do you think about adopting a child from Ethiopia?"...totally expecting him to say, "NO WAY...are you crazy?" BUT instead Todd looked at me and said "Why not, it's something we can start discussing and praying about...". I was SHOCKED!!! So I began researching adoption, reading several blogs about families who have adopted, and mostly importantly praying about adoption A LOT. Todd and I prayed together and discussed international adoption in more detail over the next month and decided maybe it would be best for us if we waited until Todd changed jobs, we had another child of our own, and saved up all of the money to pay for the adoption in full...but secretly we both just kept feeling God tugging at us and saying "Take this leap of faith, I will work ALL of the details out in MY time...TRUST that my ways and my timing are better than yours..."




So, throughout the next month, God kept laying adoption on both of our hearts through prayer, bible study, random conversations with people, the radio, and books that we were reading. I honestly could NOT STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. Todd and I talked again and realized that we were letting fears and doubts overshadow God's perfect plan for us. We had the comfortable and easy life that we always wanted and dreamed about...nice house, two cars, healthy children, good paying job...why would we "rock the boat"?!? God was calling us to step out of our COMFORT zone and into his plan...a plan that will bring more JOY than we could ever produce ourselves. As Christians, God doesn't promise that if we follow HIS plan, it will be swift and easy...but He does promise that IT WILL BE SO WORTH IT.




So, we got information from two international adoption agencies and began researching both of them. We chose one and then prayed about which country in Africa to pursue...and we chose Ethiopia. We filled out paperwork to start the adoption process and sent in our $250 to America World Adoption Agency and three days later got the first of many JOYFUL phone calls to come saying that we were accepted into the program and would start the adoption process immediately!




So...here we are...rising up to God's calling on our lives and trusting that God will work out ALL of the details that will follow in the next year or more. We hope you will walk a long side of us as we pursue this adventure. Todd and I are both firm believers that "it takes a village to raise a family..." so we are going to need your support and most importantly prayers over the next days, weeks, and months ahead.


Amber

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amber....it's Pam. Well you know how I must feel about your decision to adopt. It is absolutely one of the most AMAZING things to go through. I am delighted to be able to read about your journey on your blog. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope for a smooth process as you begin this trip towards a "family of five"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blake and I are so excited for you guys. We are blessed seeing you guys following where God is leading you. I can't wait to see Him meet you every step of the way. Much love!

    ReplyDelete